Forum home Problem solving

Spreading weed

Hi, 

I have tried repeatedly to get rid of some weed that grows at low level every year...... it has just started growing back again. It has red stems and pointed leaves. Pics are attached. There seems to be yellow flowers in summer and a big root system. Anyone have any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it? 

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    edited March 2020
    Hi and welcome @Larryo21

It looks to me like one of the hypericums  https://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=2310
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Larryo21Larryo21 Posts: 3
    Hi Dove thanks for quick response. That does look similar to how it can look in summer..... do you have any ideas how to get rid of it and the roots. It is growing around existing plants and a large oak tree and I don’t want to damage them if I sprayed or used weed killer incorrectly. 
  • Matt_Matt_ Posts: 46
    Painting on a glysophate weed killer will likely work.

Looks like hypericum calycinum. Had it all down one side of my garden last year when I moved in. The flower beds had been neglected by the previous owner and by us while we were renovating the house and it'd completely taken over along with couch grass. Spent a couple of weekends digging it up, mostly shoulder deep pulling out the rhyzomes. Sacrificed what little else was left in the boarder to clear it out. Surprisingly there's no sign of it this year, so it was time well spent. 
    It's often planted as ground cover in dry areas where few plants will grow.  It can look quite attractive.  

I wouldn't advise digging ... you'll damage the oak's roots that are close to the surface and very important for its health.  

I would deal with it by incorporating it into the garden design (as seems to have been the intention originally) cutting it back at the end of the season and pulling up running shoots that are spreading too far.  As you'll have seen from the link I posted, it's quite a desirable plant well suited to the area you describe.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Larryo21Larryo21 Posts: 3
    Great thanks for all help I will see if I can control to one spot and grow there. 
     :)