Forum home Wildlife gardening

Plants around a wildlife pond?

Hi, 
We have built a wildlife pond (4m x3.5m) and while we have got the plants to put in the pond, we don't know what to plant around the pond! It is in full sun and we would like it to look very natural and green with some interest all year round and attracting all wildlife. Can have some bigger plants/shrubs/small trees as we have space. Thank you.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,166
    You've posted this twice @lottiephillips, so there are answers on your first posting.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for your advice, detailed and super helpful and. Can you tell we are new to this?!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,166
    We all have to start somewhere @lottiephillips :)
    There are lots of threads on the forum about ponds, so it's worth using the search function at the top of the page.
    The important thing to remember is that you've created a pond. It's all good from now on  :)
    Remember to have a beached edge so that it's easy for everything to get in and out.
    Some flat rocks are good - insects often sit there sunning themselves. I often watch the wasps and hoverflies doing that  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes, we have made a beached area. Found it fairly easy it work out which plants to put in the pond and what suits the wildlife - it's just the plants around the pond! Thanks again.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    I planted creeping thyme Jekka (with the pink flowers) around one side of my w/l pond (it has also grown into the pots in the pond too).
    You can just see on the other side the tiny dwarf Greek Oregano which also has pink flowers that follow on from the thyme and has finally covered the green edge of the pond.
    Smells wonderful too.
    Top right is Brooklime (which has blue flowers) and will happily grow both in and around your pond.
    Puddle Plants are very good suppliers

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Your pond is fab! We have Brooklime on our list - nice to know we got that one right....