Forum home Problem solving

Tomato & Chilli help

Hi all,

Anyone that could tell me what these white growths are on the stalks of my Chilli plants?

And why my tomato plants are drooping. They should have enough water and sunlight :(

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,633
    Those tomatoes are getting leggy. They need repotting separately, burying the stem all the way up to the first set of leaves. This will improve root growth and make a sturdier plant. Dont worry this is normal and you are doing fine.
    Sorry about the chillies not sure, maybe mould from being wet from splash back when watered? Someone will help I'm sure.😁
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Both of those containers look as though they have no drainage holes, so the compost may be getting too wet which makes seedlings prone to fungal diseases which like such conditions.  I would recommend pricking them out now and putting each seedling into a small 3" pot with a hole or holes in the bottom.  You will need to stand the small pots on a tray or similar to collect excess water which runs out of the bottom when you water them.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Let's hope this will revive them!

Thanks for the tips :smiley:

That looks good to me, just looks like they need watering in.😁 They should now last a few weeks, as they ( the tomatoes) get bigger they may need support but that can be done as needed.😁 
  • Unfortunately I don't believe the Tomato plant will make it through
    Its bigger, but that compost looks really dry
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 372
    edited April 2020
    Key to tomatoes when they just starting off is your watering regime. The soil needs to be kept constantly moist without feeling overly wet. Chillies will tolerate drier soil but still need adequate watering. I water my tomatoes a small amount daily. Just enough to keep the soil moist.
     Some pictures of some of mine below. I'm not an expert but generally get a good crop..

• Thanks a lot!  :)