Forum home Tools and techniques

Spade Design

nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 991
When I was young spades had a sort of lip on the top of the blade where one's foot goes, presumably to minimise damage to footwear when digging.  The one I have is around 20 years old and is nicely worn in with a sharp edge - but no lip on the top.  Does anyone know of an attachment that can be put on to save my boots?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,409
    My first thought is something like the plastic trim/seal you can buy from B&Q and Ama*on for the edges of shower doors. 
    Not sure how long it’d last ... probably depends on how much digging you do. 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,608
    As a ... ahem ... footnote, the rest on the top of the spade is one explanation of the pejorative term left footers for Irish catholics.

https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/02/why-are-catholics-called-left-footers

Personally I think trying to fix a reinforced lip will be a waste of effort. It would come off too easily or would fracture. If it is that much of an inconvenience I would use sturdier gardening boots.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 991
    Thanks Both.  I just thought that, if there was such a thing, I might try and get one but it's not crucial.  There are very few spades of the type I use in Ireland.  They all seem to use the continental pointed variety, pretty much as a shovel, and a rotavator in place of what I use a spade for.
  • TagwexTagwex The sunny south east of IrelandPosts: 44
    Build it up with several welds. Should do the trick.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,441
    Gardena sell a spade with 2 foot rests - I think it's called "Natureline".  I'm sure there are other manufacturers too... my cheap stainless border spade has a turned-over bit at the top which avoids wear on the gardening shoes (and pain in the digging foot).
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • TagwexTagwex The sunny south east of IrelandPosts: 44
    BenCotto said:
    As a ... ahem ... footnote, the rest on the top of the spade is one explanation of the pejorative term left footers for Irish catholics.

https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/02/why-are-catholics-called-left-footers

Personally I think trying to fix a reinforced lip will be a waste of effort. It would come off too easily or would fracture. If it is that much of an inconvenience I would use sturdier gardening boots.
    Hi Ben, your assumption is incorrect. A left footer is a nickname for those of the Church of Ireland faith. A term still used, unfortunately,  by those of the catholic faith because, as you stated was down to the design of the shovel/spade which had a projecting spur from the shaft on the left side. Hence a left footer. A harmless enough generalisation.