Forum home Fruit & veg

Have I gone overboard with string on my broad bean support?

I maybe got a little carried away with the string support :D  Will it matter?  I’m assuming the beans will grow up and through the string framework?

• lily6lily6 Posts: 68
     I love your very smart veg garden, those raised borders are a thing of beauty without anything visible growing in them yet. Does look very heavy on the string though, is it very windy where you are?! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,716
    edited 28 March
    Hi @Darren267  😊 

Did you play Cat’s Cradle as a child?  😉. 

Personally I think it’s
    a bit over the top ...Mine get no more support than a few canes either side of the row and a string around them if they’re lucky. That looks more like macrame 😉 

For me, less is more, but then I’m an artist ... perhaps you’re a weaver by trade or have an arachnid in your ancestry? 🕷 

Sorry ... think I’m going stir crazy ... but I think I’d give your beans a bit more space ... broad beans can be quite substantial plants with a lot of leafage and if  the leaves get all gnarled and bent and compressed the bees will struggle to find a way through to pollinate the flowers and you’ll get no beans 😢 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 12,718
    They certainly won't be stringless beans😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Darren267Darren267 Posts: 6
    Hahaha. Thank you. I originally went minimal and they looked fab. Then I worries there wasn’t enough support and voila. I’ll cut some out I think.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,760
    I use a cane at each end, maybe one middle with one piece of string round in a loop, as they grow, put  a tie wrap from plant to string. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,482
    With all that string and fast growing beans I think you'll have difficulty getting your hands in there to pick them.

An impressive bit of work though - It may be eligible for the Turner Prize :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Pete.8 said:
    With all that string and fast growing beans I think you'll have difficulty getting your hands in there to pick them.

An impressive bit of work though - It may be eligible for the Turner Prize :)
    Artists need a successful public exhibition in the preceding 12 months in order to be eligible for the Turner ... with all the galleries and museums closed @Darren267 may be onto a winner 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,482
    :) the only entry in the competition - a guaranteed winner!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Pete.8 said:
    :) the only entry in the competition - a guaranteed winner!
    Hold yew hard bor’ ... I’ve not done the teepee for my runner beans yet 👩🏻‍🎨 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,042
    I sowed my broad beans last autumn.  They've grow strong and sturdy.   No strings, no canes.  They seem to be doing well so either they have enough light where they are not to get weak and leggy or else they are forming a mutual support group.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw