Forum home Problem solving

Weeds!

Hi. I’m just starting to attack my veg patch, it’s covered in weeds, particularly one that looks like clover, but isn’t. It’s the one with spots, And it forms a dense mat.  Can I just put them in the compost bin?  My husband says throw everything in, but I try to separate out the dandelions and bind weed.and Spanish blue bells.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,154
    I wouldn't put any of those in the compost.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    You can dig or fork them all up then leave them somewhere to dry out completely before they go anywhere near the compost heap.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Or chuck and leave them in a bucket of water until they have rotted down after a few weeks/months.  Can be smelly and robs you of a bucket for a long while but the bonus is the water used makes a great plant food.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    I think the clover-like plant goes by the common name of black medick, someone can probably tell you the scientific name.
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    I turn compost bags inside out and fill them with weeds, if you then place the black bag in a sunny spot with a few holes pricked in they soon heat up.

The heat will kill the weeds/roots and you can then add to compost heap
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    There's clever!  I shall pass that one on to OH, the under gardener and compost heap "manager"
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • i love all I love all those ideas.  My husband gets cross with me because I leave bucketsful if weeds all over the place- now I’ve got an excuse!  Thank you!  
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,673
    Maybe oxalis (wood sorrel).
    I wouldn't compost it either (nor the dandelion roots, although If I get one with lots of leaf but no flower/seed head I sometimes break those off and chuck them in the compost).
  • SmudgeriiSmudgerii Posts: 185
    JennyJ said:
    Maybe oxalis (wood sorrel).
    I wouldn't compost it either (nor the dandelion roots, although If I get one with lots of leaf but no flower/seed head I sometimes break those off and chuck them in the compost).

If it is dried or drowned out any weed can be composted safely.