Forum home Problem solving

Grass has lots of small patches missing

Hello this is my first post :)
im pretty new to gardening and we have a small garden with grass. There are a lot of small patches where the grass hasn’t grown , I’ve raked up all the leaves that were in the patches and now I’m wondering how to go about filling in the spots. There’s quite a few of the around the garden.
ive got grass seed , top soil and some compost so I was going to mix them together and sprinkle over but not sure how to prepare the grass ?
should I pitch fork over the whole lot then fill in the deep spots and sprinkle the rest across the entire garden then keep moist with a sprinkler? It’s also quite cold at night still down to freezing and then up to 15deg during day with not much rain at the moment so maybe it’s a tad early to lay down the seed? 
Your help is very much appreciated!
thanksgordon

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    I suggest you have a read of all the info on this link and also follow links to other info on lawn care - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=413 

Generally speaking, you can prepare and then seed bare patches in your lawn but this is usually best done in April when temperatures are conducive t good germination and growth.   You don't say where you are and that will have an effect on your temperatures.

Anyway, the advice from the RHS should help you to prepare the bare patches ready for sowing when it's warm enough and also tell you how to maintain and care for your lawn for the rest of the season.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • g0ggs123g0ggs123 Posts: 7
    Great thanks for the link! I’m in Surrey England 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    OK, then early April is probably fine for re-sowing unless the weather has a serious dip.  That gives you time to prepare you bald bits.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • g0ggs123g0ggs123 Posts: 7
    Thanks very much for the info ! 
    Couple more questions if that’s ok:
    1) I think I’ve got ryegrass as the root but is purple, but I can’t find specific ryegrass seed in the shops, it’s just seed and doesn’t state type, I got some gro sure smart seed for a tenner but it’s got crap reviews (people saying it doesn’t germinate). Any suggestions on best seed to get? 
    Thanks 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    It largely depends on the use the grass will have @g0ggs123
    If there's kids charging around on it, it needs to be different from the stuff you'd use if you want a bowling green.
    You may also have difficulty getting any in the near future. I'd go for a general mix unless there are specific requirements, and try and use one of the known makes just to be safer if you're unsure which one to get.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....