Forum home Problem solving

Basil - stopped growing

ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
Our Basil seedlings in the picture have stopped growing for some reason, started 29th February. Same thing happened last year as well  , we've kept them in our warm conservatory all this time, not over watered them so just watching and waiting and fresh seed this year. Any ideas  only all our other seedlings flowers/toms are romping away .

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    Here in London, the temperature had been quite high, around the 15 degree C mark, until a couple of days ago, when it suddenly got really cold again. Sunny, but nippy. Maybe the cold has halted their progress?
    Is your compost free draining? Do they have plenty of sun?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,015
    It'll be a while before they get going properly.
    How many seeds are in the pots? They need to be on the  dry side, but it's better to just spray/mist with water at that early stage. A light compost is best too, so that they don't get overly damp. It's easy for seed to rot.

I usually do a good sprinkle in a pot that size, and when big enough I split them into two or three clumps, depending on germination, and then repot those individually. That works best. Mine sit on the kitchen windowsill, south facing and with a radiator below it, and they're only just getting going now, so give them a bit of time.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 258
    Right compost and nice and warm in our conservatory, got that right but the same as last year just slowed down and didn't grow full stop . After listening to you know who on TVs last Friday it's a doddle ! And to be honest he gardens in Herefordshire and I'm in South Wales only a stones throw away !. Got and idea if I took some pics every few days of the leaves THEN I hope to see the difference. Trouble is with all this time on our hands I keep checking on them too much ! Sunny and bright here let's go and tackle all our pruning  . 
    Have you still got some seed?
    Worth doing a couple more small pots. I think if they start off too early, they simply don't germinate well, and then they rot. I don't usually sow until late April. Perhaps that's worth trying?
    Unless your conservatory is heated, the temp will be very low at night too. 

I experimented by sowing a pot during winter, covering them etc. Only a couple germinated, and they've only just started growing away. I don't think it's going to cut it for the spag bog tonight  :D

No Spag Bol Fairygirl it's Chilli Con Carne for T later, the local butcher in our village has opened for customers alas his stall is closed in the Market as the council closed it because of corona. 
    Back to Basil, it showed very quick after sowing in Feb , kept by radiator oh and the Toms(free from GW) then OH split and put them in small 5cm pots, but as he says at least their not 'Drooping! Nothing worse . Will take pics on my phone and Observe ! Warming up had cuppa No 3 time to get out in the garden do a bit !!
    Fortunately, I have the mince to make the spag bol, as we can't go out to the shops - self isolating as daughter is unwell. Unlike the selfish folk, we only bought what we needed, and now will have to eke it all out, unless I run out of anything and need to ask a friend to get me one or two things. We'll manage. 

If the basil's just been split, it'll take a wee while to get going again. I wait until it's much bigger before dividing. It's too much of  shock for it otherwise. Perhaps that's where the problem's been?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,172
    Those first two leaves ... the cotyledons ... are what is in the seed ... they pop up then the roots begin to grow ... only when the roots have established enough to pump some nourishment up to the seedling will the real leaves appear ... so it's only when the real leaves have started to appear that the roots have established enough to cope with being transplanted.

In short ... wait until the first real leaves have appeared, (not the seed leaves) before pricking out ... and as @Fairygirl says, prick out in little clumps, not individual plants.

That should work  🤞
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That was my reasoning @Dovefromabove. They're being split up too soon.  :)

Almost impossible for them to thrive unfortunately.

Another pic of the original tray of Basil seedlings Fairygirl,as you can see bigger/stronger and OH is experimenting keeping those inside a plastic bag it's his department veg but I do got called upon to give my opinion, just occasionally !. As our granddaughter Bethany is a Care Worker she has got a Morrisons slot for the 31st March we will add our bits and pieces 24hrs before she said , OH will not go near a Big Supermarket now just our small local. Only got fresh meat in the vilage as I had to hand in prescription at local Chemist this morning and we noticed it was open ! Hence the Minced Meat and Pork Joint. 
    Sorry forgot to download the pics, went out and did some pruning/weeding gosh it looks tidier nowt to