Forum home Fruit & veg

Beans

mrmhfmrmhf West MidlandsPosts: 355
We eat bean con carne quite regularly using pinto and kidney beans as our base.Which beans can we grow in our garden to replicate the aforementioned beans in our con carne?
Our DIY & sustainability journey: My Home Farm

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,656
    Runner beans left until they are fully ripened.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • mrmhfmrmhf West MidlandsPosts: 355
    pansyface said:
    Runner beans left until they are fully ripened.
    Thank you. Is it possible to freeze or dry them?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,703
    I tried the runner beans, we thought they were horrible, I know we’ll be eating anything soon but it’s going to be a long time till I’ll eat those,  anyone else tried them?
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,997
    edited 27 March
    French beans (climbing or dwarf) left on the plants until the pods dry work well. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,502
    I find Borlotto Firetongue are a good bean for drying and using in that sort of dish

https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable-Seeds/All-Vegetable-Seeds/Dwarf-French-Bean-Borlotto-Firetongue_197011.htm
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,381
    Another tick for Borlotto :)
    Thank you. Will buy the borlottos.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,502
    edited 27 March
    Just a tip ... although they’re described as ‘dwarf’ I find that  some packs I buy are climbers just like runner beans .., so be prepared with canes if they start growing up ... and up ... and up ... 😉 

The beans turn out just the same. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,166
    I still have a batch of runner bean beans in the freezer. Quite beefy things, they add body to soups and stews and make a good base for houmous/hummus. Borlotto are worth growing on to bean stage too.
    steephill said:
    I still have a batch of runner bean beans in the freezer. Quite beefy things, they add body to soups and stews and make a good base for houmous/hummus. Borlotto are worth growing on to bean stage too.
    That’s great. Thanks for sharing. I’ve gone with runners and borlotto.