Daylilly and tulip

jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 136
Once your tulips have flowered do most of you replant the bulbs in the garden?  What do you do with them?  My second question is why have these daylily never flowered.  This is  season two.  The leaves died back in the winter but have now grown back but no flowers?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,433
    I've planted tulips out in the garden after they've flowered in pots, but they never do as well and after a few years disappear altogether (that's my experience anyway). 
    With regard to the daylilies, it could be down to not enough sunlight , l think they need a fair few hours of sunshine each day.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    It's almost impossible to keep tulips for more than a season or two, except for the Apeldoorns and the species ones.
    I'd take those stems off too, and then give them a liquid feed before letting them die down naturally. That will help them build up reserves for next year. Some might come back. If you plant them in the ground, give them the best spot you can - very free draining and sunny   :)

I doubt if Daylilies will ever do well long term in a wee trough like that. However, they don't flower until later in the year anyway, so you might get some flowering stems appearing in the next month or so. They'd be better in the ground, and you'll probably have to split them up a bit - they look quite congested there.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,369
    I agree - remove those spent flower stalks from the tulips so they don't waste energy trying to make seed and then feed them with liquid rose or tomato food to help them build up their buds for next year.  Once the foliage has died back completely you can lift the bulbs and store them somewhere cool and dry until next November or you can just clear away the dead foliage and store the pot somewhere cool.

I have had species tulips come back in my previous garden and in this garden species are doing well but also some of the taller ones I planted under shrubs in pots have come back so I suspect if you look after yours they'll be OK in the pot but would be better planted deeply - 9" down - in the soil where it's not damp. 

Day lilies don't do well if congested or starved so I also agree about splitting up those clumps asap and, if possible, getting them in the ground.  Give them a good drink before and a good feed and drink afterwards and they'll be fine.   You need to lift and divide the clumps every 3 years to keep them in top flowering form.  They don't mind being dry or damp but do need sun.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 136
    Thank you
  • I think much depends on the soil, position and variety with Tulips.  The species always seem to survive from year to year with me, and also some varieties such as Spring Green. Generally I plant them out and leave them to their own devices in a corner somewhere and eventually they may bulk up enough to flower again