Let’s hear it for our NHS heroes 💚😷

dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 510
edited 26 March in The potting shed
On in 15 minutes

🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 959
    All the people down our end of the village were on the doorstep applauding. That’s to say, we both were! Maybe at the big house too but their drive is so long we couldn’t hear them. Mind you they’d be applauding themselves - a consultant nephrologist and a nurse.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,367
    Don't forget the delivery people, the cleaners, the security people, the food producers, growers and processors, the warehouse staff and all the rest keeping us supplied with food and basic necessities.

I suspect also that what all these people and the NHS staff would appreciate more is for everyone to observe the STAY AT HOME rules and stop risking infection spread and thus lives.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,188
    edited 26 March
    My neighbours and I have all been out - suitably spread apart and done this. It was a lovely feel good moment. I live next door to a nurse who is on maternity leave having just had her first baby and I did warn her so that she wouldn't think I'd gone bonkers, with the social isolation situation, when I went out to clap and cheer and whistle.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,513
    edited 26 March
    Well, that was amazing ... loads and loads of folk out there clapping and cheering, whooping and hollering ... in this quiet little suburban village  ... Brilliant 👍
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,058
    Yes lots of people clapping before eight as we went out, even saw a firework let off :smile:

Very much the community spirit
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 107
    BenCotto said:
    All the people down our end of the village were on the doorstep applauding. That’s to say, we both were! Maybe at the big house too but their drive is so long we couldn’t hear them. Mind you they’d be applauding themselves - a consultant nephrologist and a nurse.
    I’m a nurse, I was a bit worried people might think I was clapping for myself! 🤣
  • dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 510
    edited 26 March
    Ah, brilliant!
    NHS OH (radiographer) was walking through the garden gate, having just returned from a 12 hour shift, on the count of 8pm- all our terrace were out front, clapping and cheering directly at him, additionally to many peeps in flats and houses along the whole street (who don’t know him, but were taking part anyway).
    It really was special.

🎼"I've been driving in my car, it don't look much but I've been far, I drive up to Muswell Hill, I've even been to Selsey Bill..."🎹
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,513
    We’re not far from the big N&NUH and we have quite a few folk who work there living around us ... if they were applauding themselves and their colleagues while we applauded them I won’t argue with that 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ChivetalkingChivetalking Leigh-on-seaPosts: 1,399
    Yes it was a very special experience as we united to thank all for their role in helping others. Something I shall never forget. 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,564
    edited 27 March
    I'm sure it was appreciated by the NHS workers, of whom I was one until I retired.  But I hope the govt is going to give them a bloody big pay rise this year.  Or at least a one-off bonus: £5,000 each tax-free wouldn't be too much.

Our pastor, who's very tech-savvy, organised a live inter-active prayer meeting at 7.30 last night.  We have several doctors and nurses in our fellowship, and a midwife who's due to give birth next month.  At 8pm, one of the participants commented on the clapping she could hear from the street, so we all left our computers for half a minute to join in.