Raised Sleeper Bed against Fence

Hello,

First time poster and very new to all things gardening.

We moved into a new property about 8 months ago and I've spent a fair amount of spare time clearing a neglected garden - my main job being taking out an overgrown hedgerow and the remains of some kind of rock garden along the back and reclaiming about 8 feet of garden in the process!

My issue is that this area of the garden slopes upwards quite significantly I think in part due to the remains of the rock garden i excavated in each of the corners. I've cleared the rubble and had a nice new fence installed which spans the width of the garden with an extra panel in the corner on the right side (previously also hedgerow). I've also leveled the garden to within about 3 feet of the fence, piling up the excess in a mound spanning from the back right corner almost to the other side of the garden (i've excavated the left hand corner to build a shed base). In hindsight, I definitely should have completely leveled the garden before getting a fence installed but as we had nothing shielding us from the footpath on the other side it was urgent we got it sorted.

Now, because of the slope, the actual bottom of the fence sits a good 12 - 15 inches higher than the middle of the garden. I'm planning to turn the mound into a raised bed using sleepers but I have the following issue.

If I make the bed 4 sided and level out the back and right hand corner of the garden I will expose the gravel boards from the fence (due to them sitting higher up because of the slope) and i'm worried this might make it unstable.

So, i'm wondering if it would be ok to incorporate this natural slope in to my raised Bed??

In other words could I have sleepers on 2 sides around the mound in an L shape and then use the fence as the 3rd and 4th side? No earth would be touching the fence panels as the soil level of the bed would essentially be in line with the bottom of the fence (or the top of the concrete gravel boards). The raised bed would then come 3 feet or so into the garden so it would be raised in relation to the rest of the garden but also hide the slope. 

I don't know if i've explained myself very well but would like to know if there's any reason why I couldn't do this?

Alternatively I could dig down and expose the Gravel boards and put sleepers in front of them before filling the bed but I don't want my fence to fall down!

Look forward to hearing your advice.
Thanks!

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 960
    One picture paints a thousand words. Some photos really would help.
  • jpbilkejpbilke Posts: 3
    BenCotto said:
    One picture paints a thousand words. Some photos really would help.
    Yes good point! Attached some. The slope doesn't look as pronounced in photo but you can see the fence line is higher. Ive included one from behind the shed which shows the difference in height after leveling. I plan on reinforcing that gap with something. 
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 933
    If I read you correctly you basically want to use the L/H and R/H concrete gravel boards (in the pic) as the rear two sides of a raised bed that comes into the garden, right? If so then I don’t see any problem with that. The gravel boards are stable and will not rot. You should be good to go..... assuming I’ve understand the dilemma correctly  :)
  • jpbilkejpbilke Posts: 3
    If I read you correctly you basically want to use the L/H and R/H concrete gravel boards (in the pic) as the rear two sides of a raised bed that comes into the garden, right? If so then I don’t see any problem with that. The gravel boards are stable and will not rot. You should be good to go..... assuming I’ve understand the dilemma correctly  :)
    That is exactly what I want to do - thanks Dave!