Identification please

Hello everyone. I hope you are all well and enjoying your gardens at this difficult time.  
I looked this plant up on the ‘net and the nearest I could find blooms in autumn! 
I’d be grateful to know what aspect it prefers. I live on the IoW - my small front border is in shade virtually all year while most of my little back garden can get extremely hot. It can also be quite windy as my property is elevated.
Sorry pics are sideways! 🙄

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,369
    Their common name is Kaffir Lily and they like it hot and sunny, being form South Africa - https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/plants/_/hesperantha-coccinea-major/classid.3579/  -
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lyn Plant-WellsLyn Plant-Wells Posts: 233
    edited 26 March
    Hi Thanks for your response. I checked out this and it certainly looks like my plant - but it says it flowers August/September. Mine is in flower now!
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,582
    I thought Kaffir lily too, I also have them but again mine flower in late summer. Perhaps it is confused, I certainly am at the moment.
  • I grow them, and I have occasionally had them producing a few flowers at the wrong time. I am sure the ID is correct. It is not unusual for other flowers to bloom out of season.
  • nicktennickten Posts: 77
    People tend to use the more official name now, Kaffir being a word of apartheid.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,254
    They are very easy to grow from seed, I’ve got several in pots, sown last year, big enough to flower this year hopefully. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lyn Plant-WellsLyn Plant-Wells Posts: 233
    edited 27 March
    Nickten - I know it’s not related but I’ve seen Kaffir Lime Leaves in Thai grocer shops 🤔
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,513
    The ‘k word’ is considered a racist slur due to its use during apartheid in S Africa (where your plant originated) so it isn’t used any more in relation to the plant. 

In the Eastern Asia it isn’t regarded as a racist insult so is still used for the lime, although in S Africa and some other places now it’s referred to as the Thai lime. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Too silly! Looking for slurs where none intended!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,513
    edited 27 March
    Silly?!? It was intentionally used in a racist way during apartheid so of course it's racist. 
    Nothing silly about it. 

"...In South Africa, the use of the term Kaffir to refer to a black African is a profoundly offensive and inflammatory expression of contemptuous racism that is sufficient grounds for legal action. The term is associated especially with the era of apartheid, when it was commonly used as an offensive racial slur, and its offensiveness has only increased over time. It now ranks as perhaps the most offensive term in South African English...." https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Kaffir
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh