Flies on and around Laurel bush

Having just moved into a new house, I was surprised at how many flies there were in and around two areas of Laurel bushes.  Why would this be? (there isn't an open compost bin nearby) How can I get rid of them?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    What kind of flies?
    If they're the bog standard type, there could be something dead nearby, or cat cr*p under/behind the laurel. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• jabilyukjabilyuk Posts: 9
    They appear to be bog standard flies.  There’s nothing dead nearby and no cat poo. It’s weird because there’s a laurel bush at the front of the house and a bush in the back garden and both are swarming with flies.  I’ve never seen this before and haven’t come up with an answer after googling it
    Is it flowering just now?
    Some flowers attract certain insects.

Mine are only in bud just now, so I can't say if there's any unusual activity. Our weather isn't very conducive to any flying insects at the moment either.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,188
    Could you take a pic of them? Do they look like this?

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/flies/st-marks-fly

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Oh no they don’t look like that. Are they flying ants?
     I’ll take a picture in the morning. 
    Actually I’m going to spray them with diluted washing up liquid tomorrow too to see if that gets rid. The thing is every time I open the front door some fly in and then I have to fly swat them to get rid.  :(
    Fairy girl, no they’re not in flower at all. The sun has been shining for the past 3 days however they were there long before the sun arrived!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,188
    No, my suggestion was St. Mark’s fly as the link explains.

Rather than spray them with unpleasant liquids before you know whether they are beneficial to the garden or not, I think a photo of them would help somebody here identify them for you. You would then be in a better position to decide what to do about them.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    I will take the photo first thing. Thank you so much for responding too I meant to say that before to you and fairy girl for taking the time and trouble to help my dilemma x
    No probs @jabilyuk.
    Hopefully a pic will help us to offer some further advice.  :)
    I can't think of any reason why you would have loads of flies though. Laurels don't attract a lot of pests or diseases other than shot hole. 

There was a frost overnight and there are few less at the moment but the sun has warmed up the bushes. Here are couple photos