Necessity is the Mother of Invention ... and all that ...

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,513
We may all have to be even more creative than usual with our gardens this year ... so here's a thread for the lateral thinkers, the bodgers and the creative geniuses ............

The big canna had split its container ... although we have some big pots none of them are big enough for the canna without dividing it into at least three ... and then we'd be short of big pots for the other plants and tomatoes ...  in other circumstances I'd have nipped up to the GC and spent a fortune on a new and beautiful container but that's not possible now, so .... 

Yes, the Undergardener made some drainage holes in the base, and the bottom one third is filled with chunks of polystyrene to aid drainage, reduce weight and cut down on the amount of compost needed.  Now it's just taking up space in our studio until the last frosts are over ... 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,254
    Ive set my dahlias and begonia corms in garden compost we made.  Just have to watch out for weeds, I’m going to try it with some seeds now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    Nothing worse than splitting your container @Dovefromabove

I think a few folk might be doing that during this lockdown.... :D

I had a nice terracotta pot that I'd had for years. When it eventually succumbed to weather, I glued it back together and got a few more years out of it. 
    I still use it - against a wall or fence with a plant in a plastic pot inside it. Only half of it remains intact, but you can't see the missing bit if it's carefully positioned.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 11,376
    You can lie them on their side and grow sedums and the like in them.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    I did that with something else @B3. It's a good way of using them. I also have one or two by the shed which will suit froggy and his pals - if he ever gets any... :(

I also have a small pot which succumbed [ok - I dropped it...] and it's in the wee bit by the pond with some cyclamen and snowdrops in/near it.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....