Forum home Problem solving

Where to buy butterfly netting?

Went to order on Suttons and sold out (except in a length thats way too much for me). It says available to order Aug 2020, which I find hard to believe. Does anyone have a trustworthy website that stocks the stuff?
«1

Posts

  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    Is it for stopping  butterflies  laying eggs on your veg?
    If so, you can go to a builders merchants and get scaffolding netting, I bought mine from amazon, it needs to be a very close mesh, it does work really well. 

    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    edited March 2020
    Lyn said:
    Is it for stopping  butterflies  laying eggs on your veg?
    If so, you can go to a builders merchants and get scaffolding netting, I bought mine from amazon, it needs to be a very close mesh, it does work really well. 


    Yeah, except thats not an option for me. I'm choosing to stay in because of this virus, and I don't own a car, so public transport is a no.

    EDIT: Yes its to stop them laying eggs.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    We’re all staying home, the shops are closed,  I’ve been trying on every forum and Facebook to ask people to stop buying unnecessary items,  we are all making sacrifices this year in the garden, garden centres closed etc,  if you haven’t got a big veg plot you can go out everyday and squash the eggs as they lay them, if you miss any, take the caterpillars off and put out for the birds.

    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 248
    Lyn said:
    We’re all staying home, the shops are closed,  I’ve been trying on every forum and Facebook to ask people to stop buying unnecessary items,  we are all making sacrifices this year in the garden, garden centres closed etc,  if you haven’t got a big veg plot you can go out everyday and squash the eggs as they lay them, if you miss any, take the caterpillars off and put out for the birds.

    *Sigh* Yeah, looks like I'll have to do that. Hopefully I can cope with all the amount of work I have to do in the garden this year :(
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,836
    I have bought netting from Knowle nets before, I have  checked  they  do have what you want but not sure about sizes.
    Hope that helps
    AB Still learning

  • Julia1983Julia1983 ShropshirePosts: 139
    I got some from ebay before covid kicked off... do you have a local garden centre? Ours is shut now obviously but they will still deliver locally. I wouldn't feel bad about ordering because they're only delivering garden supplies very locally so not diverted from anything else and no contact. Or a local garden club? You never know if a members got spare they might drop some round for you. 
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,327
    Once things get back on a more even keel, this site is very good https://www.gardening-naturally.com/netting-frost-protection

    I don't know if they are still sending orders out but you should wait, even if they are. As Lyn says, other deliveries are more urgent just now. In any case you can keep on top of the eggs in spring easily enough. Hopefully by the time the butterflies are out in full force, we'll have passed the peak of this virus and you can order your nets with a clear conscience
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    I buy most of the things like that on eBay. Small online sellers are still working and they need orders to stay in the business. They only need to go to the post office once or twice a week (which can be done while shopping for essentials) or they have scheduled pick-ups if they are large volume sellers. Obviously, not all sellers are trustworthy but what's there to lose when the netting is £4 including the postage.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,874
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140
    edhelka said:
    They only need to go to the post office once or twice a week (which can be done while shopping for essentials) or they have scheduled pick-ups if they are large volume sellers. 
    Not quite grasped the situation there,  whilst they only go to the post office once a week to dispatched their wares,  the delivery driver has called at 100’s of places through the day and post office workers standing in a line sorting post, at risk to themselves and the man standing next to him,  yes, safety measures in place, like a pair of rubber gloves and some hand gel, but you never know where this virus is. 
    When ordering,  please think through the whole chain of people involved in that transaction.

    If you can do without what you’ve ordered, please do so for just a while.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Sign In or Register to comment.