Forum home Problem solving

Bugs eating laurels (or something else?)

Hello all

Just popping by to obtain some wisdom from this place! With the weather being somewhat warm (plus not being at work due to COVID-19) I've been tidying up my garden, and watering the plants.
It wasn't until last night I noticed my laurels are looking somewhat... eaten! I have pictures below. They are well rooted in the ground, which I'm satisfied with and resting on bark.

Can anyone advise if this is a concern? Should I use anything - I read online pesticide is an option?

Many thanks - stay safe! 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    Most likely fungal leaf spot or Bacterial Shot-hole. Very common with Cherry Laurels, but not likely to cause lasting damage. Try to ensure your shrubs are growing in best conditions. Do not try to water from above as this may spread it around more. If they are young plants, water generously in hot and dry weather. Mulch around the base and prune out any unsightly leaves if it's a small area. Generally, if they are grown well, they will improve in their own time.

Looking at your photos, I would recommend you cut out more lawn area to allow it more space to grow. That way, you have less competition in the root area. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,202
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.