Forum home Problem solving

Leatherjacket / Clay soil

• stuarta99stuarta99 Posts: 92
    Ok so I think I might have found the problem. Dug down about 8 inches and found plastic bags lining the area which I guess the guy before must have put down when he had his pond in there. Really don't understand how we never came across it before. The soil doesn't look that bad, quite loose when broken up although lots of pebbles. I'm assuming the bin liners were stopping water from penetrating any deeper
    Got lots of pebbles now. I can't see how I'm going to get rid of them all so would it be safe just to bury them all at say 7in deep?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,743
    Pebbles will actually aid drainage quite a bit, so yes, bury them all at the bottom. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited 5 April
    Excellent thanks and that's what I was thinking and someone would say. I've just gotta dig up the rest now to find what more plastic I find then get all the pebbles out to lay at the a bed at the bottom. The ground is really smooth under the plastic as well so will try spike and loosen that up as well.

Assuming this plastic has been the cause of my issues all the time over the last 4 years and maybe will stop the leatherjackets if it's not so wet
    Ok so been out today digging up pebbles, plastic bin liners and finding lots of what I assume is leatherjackets if someone can confirm. Was sprayed in December but clearly ineffective. Big pile of pebbles and one small semi finished area. I've dug down about 10inches so under the liner and broken the soil.

Ok so after applying Nematodes I've just been out to keep soil moist. It was still dark and damp in a couple of places since watering in Saturday and pooling in a couple of places. Hope it's not a sign I've still got issue guess some is normal.

I think it was soaked maybe too much when I put the Nematodes down as it said soak for 8 minutes then another 8 minutes but think that was based on 50Sqm not 10. 
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,051
    The soil only needs to be damp to keep the nematodes alive long enough to do their job. Not wet. The leatherjackets are near the surface at this time in their growth stage but they have toughened skin compared to juvenile larvae. The jury is out over the effectiveness of nematodes in spring. Make sure you apply again in September. You will likely need to make this a yearly event in your calendar. 
    Ok thanks. I was just going to give a sprinkling when I see soil turn a lighter colour. I don't know if many are left because I picked out hundreds.

Just wasn't sure if it was a sign that I still have drainage issue but like said I think the instructions of 8 min water and another 8 min was probably overkill when applying. The  slight puddles there did go in a couple of minutes.

I'll definitely be applying again in September as out current treatment guys we were using were waiting until December for a chemical spray and it appears now that was too late.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,051
    I think the chemical spray option is now no longer allowed to be used through legislation I believe. 
    I think the chemical spray option is now no longer allowed to be used through legislation I believe. 
    Yes I think that's right. This year they made their own concoction and said it might or might not work but think our lack of grass this year and the hundreds I picked up was a sign or again they just applied too late