Geranium/Palegonium seeds

Will seeds sown inside now, flower when put out this summer?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    Are they geraniums or pelargoniums?
    Geraniums are unlikely, but it depends what they are. 

I don't really know anything about pelargoniums - I've only ever done a few plugs, but someone else will know  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,182
    I grew some salmon pink pelargoniums from seed last year @Derelicks (I'm trying to do more flowers less veg - its not working!) they were lovely healthy plants and once we had some decent sunshine they flowered. They didn't get very big (about 6" X 6") but they are romping away in the greenhouse at the moment ready for another growing season.
  • DerelicksDerelicks Posts: 3
    Hi Herbaceous (Great name), am I correct in understanding you grew them from seed last year and they flowered same year? Were they outside after seedlings were strong enough?  I am guessing you lifted them for overwintering inside?
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,182
    Yes, last year @Derelicks. Started the seeds off in seed trays indoors, potted on into small pots in the greenhouse then into their final pots around the raised beds outdoors where they happily flowered toward the end of July. I grow all my pelargoniums in pots or baskets so they are easy to move into the greenhouse for the winter. I probably have too many but I can't throw away the bits when they get their annual haircut so end up with lots of cuttings. Tried the seed because I love salmon pink and you never see them as plants for some reason.

I don't bother with geraniums as I get fed up with pulling herb robert from around the veg beds, that's quite enough geranium for me  :)

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,659
    edited 25 March
    You are pushing it for Pelargoniums , personally I think you are to late buy some instead. They are one of the first seeds I sow usually 2-3rd of January , they are about 5-7cm tall and they normally start flowering July . 
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 724
    I’ve sown some pelargonium seeds yesterday, but I don’t really mind if they flower late as I usually overwinter them. Older plants flower better for me. But, as Perki says, they are usually sown in January.
  • DerelicksDerelicks Posts: 3
    Wow, thanks for all the help.  So glad I joined Gardeners World.