Help with compost

Last year I planted some vegetables and had 2 bags of  compost left over so as a first time gardener I stored them in the garage thinking they would be ok in the dry. In the current situation I have only just got round to thinking about planting but am noticing little flies in the compost. I know it’s not ideal but as I’m unable to go out to get any more compost will it be ok to use to plant my vegetable seeds or will it do more harm than good? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,508
    The only problem would be if you're going to sow your seeds indoors and the little flies (fungus gnats) are very annoying indoors ... but if you open the bags and leave them outside in the sunshine and fresh air for a couple of days most of the flies will fly off to be food for the tits and bats etc, so then you can use the compost and it should be fine.

The flies won't damage your seedlings.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I am so happy I have followed your advice so I can use my compost and keep gardening in this tricky time 😊 
    Many thanks 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,508
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh