Forum home Problem solving

Poorly photinia red robin

tattiannatattianna Posts: 182
edited March 2020 in Problem solving
As you can see from the photo some of the leaves have discoloured speckles on them and since I took the photo, 2 days ago, most of the affected leaves have fallen off. I've noticed this morning that a lot of the new leaves have been munched on and some of the newer growth as been eaten down to the stem. I can't see any sign of the culprit but clearly something has taken a liking to the plant....any ideas what it could be? Thank you 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,154
    edited March 2020
    I think the poor thing may have suffered from drought and a lack of nourishment last year, making it susceptible to any disease going ... it needs clear soil around it's base for a diameter of 1 metre, the grass and other plants there will be robbing it of the water and nourishment it needs to get established.  
    It's probably also in a rain-shadow  so not getting a lot of moisture because of the fence.  Although Photinia like well drained soil, they need a certain amount of moisture to get established.
    If you improve its growing conditions it will be more able to cope with any fungal diseases such as Photinia leaf spot that may be about.

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/blog/photinia-leaf-spo
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh