Forum home Problem solving

terracotta pots and bug repellent.

I'm trying to remember how and what you use to set up the terracotta pot bug repellent. Can anybody help? 
Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    Hi @zaragrimmett- can you clarify what you mean by a pot bug repellent?
    What bugs are you trying to repel? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    Lots of suppliers of citronella insect repellent candles in terra-cotta pots on EBay ... all you have to do is light the wick ... I wonder if that’s what is being referred to @Fairygirl
    😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Dovefromabove -Ahhh....
    or maybe an advert is on the way  ;)

• I believe it was something like moth balls under a pot to ward away the insects?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,877
    What are you trying to ward insects away from and why?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
    You'll need to clarify @zaragrimmett. I'm afraid that's all too vague.  :/
    Very few insects cause major problems that can't be tackled in simple ways, but without proper info, we can't help you.

I've never heard of moth balls being used for keeping anything away - other than moths obviously, and that's just for clothing, and donkey's years ago. I doubt anyone does that now either.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    Why would you want such noxious things as mothballs in your garden, accessible by wildlife and possibly children too?

https://www.totalwardrobecare.co.uk/blog/what-is-in-moth-balls/

Tell us what pests are harming your plants and we'll try to help you find a better way to deal with them.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,074
    A neighbour put them on her garden to deter something or other. The stink made that part of the garden unusable even from my side if the fence. Maybe it was to deter neighbours
    In London. Keen but lazy.