Garden waste and recycle collections suspended in Bromley

Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,059
So I guess I’ll be composting everything I can!

Any ideas about composting weeds, diseased leaves, and things you wouldn’t normally compost?

Any smart ideas about all the plastic waste?  (I know, we’d love not to generate any but such is life)

😟

• HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,021
    edited 24 March
    How annoying. Our landfill waste was collected but I compltely forgot to put it out. I also forgot to put it out the previous fortnight so now it's full.
    Just checked my LA website and apparently our garden waste has also been suspended. Thankfully recycling due next week should still be collected as I also missed the previous collection.
    I've just started composting this month and have been putting "diseased" material and weeds in it. Oops. Photinia with leaf spot, those euphorbia style weeds and those nice weeds with a purple flower.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,059
    I’ve just scraped a whole load of thatch and moss out of my lawn, that takes *years* to degrade 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,556
    Here in sunny Doncaster the garden waste collections are suspended but normal waste and recycling continues. I'll be shredding more than usual, and I'll use an old compost bag to store the stuff that I don't want in my own compost  bins (perennial weed roots, anything that looks diseased etc).
    Maybe if I have two heaps - one for future disposal, one for everything else.  If this lasts I’ll have a Monty style production line going!

So not all bad.  

I fear the plastic in our area will just go into the rubbish bags. :(
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,328
    Burn weeds etc if possible. The ash is good for the soil. If you have a lot of woody material then tucking it in piles under bushes and hedges makes great habitat.
    For plastics you'll just need to crush everything down as small as possible and make sure it's clean so it doesn't stink.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,556
    edited 24 March
    Woody stuff that's too thick for my shredder already gets sawn into suitable lengths and stuffed in the corner behind the compost bins or in the hedge bottom anyway, kind of an unstructured version of bug hotels. I don't have anywhere suitable to burn things safely so that's a non-starter, but thanks for the suggestion.The green bin is mostly filled with twiggy stuff or things like ivy, when I can't be bothered to get the shredder out, so I'll just have to be a bit less lazy  :) Shredding ivy always makes me cough though......

I’ve got a few wood piles already from past years(!)

I don’t mind making do, just wondering how best to do it.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,351
    You could try soaking all the 'nasty' weeds in a bucket of water until they rot. They'll be fine then to drain out and put into your compost bin.  Did the Council give a reason why the collections have been suspended, too many workers off ill or the 2 metre rule?
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 1,021
    My council doesn't have a reason, just says it on their website. I want to know what they're doing with the spare money.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,878
    "I’ve just scraped a whole load of thatch and moss out of my lawn, that takes *years* to degrade  "

I would think that if you mixed this in with greens and browns - possibly cut it small - it should break down fine as compost. Deep it damp, water it, add some garden soil.