Forum home Problem solving

Help with a wind problem!

We are in a new build with fences to neighbours on all sides which is obviously creating some sort of swirl effect in the garden.. it is unbearably windy all year round (we have lived here 18 months) I don’t know how to create a wind break without encroaching on the neighbours fences etc excuse the mess we are getting garden ready for summer! 

Any advice on how to solve problem without waiting for plants/hedges to grow appreciated! 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,330
    Trellis. You want something that is 50% open, which filters the wind without deflecting it. Ideally, plant climbers against your fences as they will also cut down the 'swirl' and a small tree on the windiest side will also help - but those you have to wait to grow. In the meantime, make a seating area with a 'pergola' style roof and a trellis side panel on the windiest side(s) or - if you can afford it and are allowed the height - put a section of trellis along the top of the fences.

Have you noticed whether the wind tends to come from one direction in particular?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • I did think about trellis on the fences but I don’t know if I’m allowed as no one else has done so - also would require a lot of trellis! It seems worse from the right hand side and from the back of the house - there is a walkway down the left which creates a bit of a wind tunnel but that’s to be expected! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Hi @hannahmeeks. You can erect trellis in various ways across the garden too, rather than against the fences. That also divides the garden into different spaces, and although it might seem that it makes the garden smaller, the opposite is , in fact, true if done correctly. On the diagonal is often the best method.

The pergola @raisingirl mentions is an ideal method, and provides a place to sit out of the wind. Even without plants growing on it, it will help filter the wind. 
    As already said, work out which direction the prevailing wind comes from first, and proceed from there :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I don’t mind separating the garden and I did think that would be the best option but I don’t have any clue how to erect trellis without nailing it to something 😂
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Some decent  3 or 4 inch posts and some of that Postcrete to concrete them in. Then it's a fairly simple job screwing trellis on. You can also use roofing battens to make a more modern screen - just screw them on horizontally at a suitable distance apart.
    Make life easy by making the distance between the posts, an appropriate size for the trellis panels or the length of the battens, depending on how you want to attach them. No cutting then. 

The only problem is that, at the moment, we shouldn't really be popping off down to B&Q for supplies [other DIY stores are available] but they do a click and collect, so that might be a way around it.
    Not sure about deliveries just now, but if you have a good builder's merchant near enough you, they're also cheaper and will probably be cheaper for delivery too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....