Forum home Problem solving

Clemetis Nubia

My Clemetis Nubia is starting to put on growth including a bud or two but the instructions say I should cut it back to 15-20cm in early spring. Should I be doing this now or am I too late? it also mentions feeding, can i use tomato food? t i a

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Yes - you can do it now. If you have frost forecast for the next few days, it would be best to leave it until that's passed, but sometimes you just have to do it. 
    I've often done mine when the weather isn't strictly suitable, but if I didn't, it would be May and they still wouldn't be done  ;)
    Tomato food is fine, but you can also use a general feed like Blood, Fish and Bone if you have it. It's slow release, so it provides nutrients as and when the plant needs them. You then don't have to keep feeding so often. The problem with liquid feeds is that they can get washed away a bit :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 792
    Thanks @Fairygirl, i do not have any b f and b, however i do have tomato food, chicken manure pellets or growmore, which would you say is best please? t i a
    edited April 2020
    You could use the Growmore just now. I think it's a similar type of slow release food, but a chemical form. It should give you info on the pack though.  :)

Tomato food is good for helping form buds, and you usually stop once the flowers start opening.  I know some growers use a very, very diluted mix each time they water, but that's probably not the best idea. It depends on how often you want to be out there feeding too.
    I tend to use the liquid feeds for annuals, as it gets washed through the soil too much, which the granular feeds don't.  :)
    To be honest - it's ensuring they have adequate water too - especially if you have lighter soil , and you don't have regular rainfall, or if it's in a pot. I didn't ask that - I assumed it's in the ground.

• MeomyeMeomye Posts: 792
    Thanks @Fairygirl, Sorry, my fault, i forgot to mention, it is in a pot as it was recommended as a potted patio type as i believe it doesn't get very tall. 
    Ah - then just use whatever's easiest. Refreshing the top of the soil is good too - just being careful of emerging shoots. You could do that with your Growmore mixed in, and then water it in well  :)