Giving Away Plants During Lockdown

WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,982
I've got lots of plants that need a home and not enough space. Would it be irresponsible to label them, pop them on my garden wall with a sign saying people could just take them away? If I kept it to max. 5no. at any one time it shouldn't really encourage people to gather should it?

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,433
    Spooky you should say that @WillDB. I have been having a sort through plants this morning.  Normally any spares go to the charity shop,  but obviously that's gone out the window. 
    People l have seen walking past here are in pairs or family groups and keeping a good distance from each other, and the thought of putting them outside had crossed my mind.
    Depends if your neighbours are the intelligent type l suppose. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,188
    It depends on how many people normally walk past your house in, say, two minutes and how delicious looking the plants are.😊

When I put apples out at the gate, I leave bags so that people can quickly pack them up and walk on. I would say the average time anyone spends in looking, reading the sign about the charity, choosing the apples and bagging them up, chatting to a companion, finding some change and putting it in the collection box is about a couple of minutes.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,982
    Normally someone past every couple of minutes and it's very busy at either end of the school day, tumbleweeds today though as you'd expect. I'll put out a few, it's likely only going to be neighbours who spot them.

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,982
    I don't think my plants are likely to cause a stampede. I won't advertise them on Facebook or anything like that.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,328
    How big is your front wall? Space the pots out at 2m centres and that should avoid any crowding issues.
    Looking forward to hearing about the outcome  :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,513
    I think that's a lovely and very kind idea.   :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    I also think it's a lovely idea, and I hate to rain on your parade, but - if they're in plastic pots and various folk handle them, there's a risk.

Perhaps you need a very clear sign just highlighting that, or is there a way you can package them differently? 
    I appreciate that's not easy.  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FlyDragonFlyDragon Greater ManchesterPosts: 107
    Don’t, the virus can live on the pots.  

If an infected person picks one up then puts it down again, then the next person to come along is at risk.  It’s just not worth the risk, although it’s a lovely thought. 
    edited 24 March
    How about taking them out of pots and wrapping in newspaper? 
    I have a feeling l know what the answer will be, it's so frustrating, but hey ho .