Forum home The potting shed

Things I finally got around to doing ✔✔✔😇

2»

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Too right @Lyn but I am on a voyage of discovery, so exciting!  The likely reason I usually can't find things is because I don't chuck stuff out.  My daughters were addicted to some de-cluttering programme on TV - couldn't get my head round that, you never know when that thing might come in useful.......  Can't chuck stuff out when it might be 'just the thing'  
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,679
    Things I haven’t finally got around to doing:

A. Building a fruit cage over the raspberries because I can’t get the corner joints for the old pipes I was going to construct it from, because all the hardware and DIY shop are closed. I did consider asking the neighbours for a few of theirs, but I’m not sure cannabis joints will be as effective. But the raspberries could put it in their pipes and smoke it.

B. Topping up the tomato and potato beds with bagged manure because all the garden centres are closed. But that’s OK because my seed potatoes ordered ages ago haven’t arrived and maybe never will and my tomato seedlings are looking etiolated because there is not enough light indoors and it’s gone really cold and wet outside - they copped a feel of the temperature when I tried to take them out and keeled over. The temperature was titillated.

C. Extending and building up the stone wall of the far end of my new rose bed because all the construction materials suppliers are closed so I can’t get the mortar. But that’s ok too, because I can’t get the compost to top up the newly not-raised bed because, yep, the garden centres are closed. My roses are all lined up and waiting to go in, observing appropriate social distancing of course, but they will have to get used to queuing for a long time, like the rest of us.

Things I have got around to doing:

Cracking open the stash of champagne being saved for a rainy day. Because it’s raining and I can’t do A, B or C, so I have to keep myself occupied and mentally stimulated somehow.

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited March 2020
    Lyn said:
    Can I just be a GOW for a minute,  if you’re thinking of clearing out all you junk and unwanted’ s. Please spare a thought for the bin men, they have lives as well. I’m not putting my recycling out for a while, they have enough to do with care homes and such. 
    Sorry,but GOW?  Please enlighten me.

Edit:  thought about it a bit longer:  Grumpy Old Woman?
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    Too right @Lyn but I am on a voyage of discovery, so exciting!  The likely reason I usually can't find things is because I don't chuck stuff out.  My daughters were addicted to some de-cluttering programme on TV - couldn't get my head round that, you never know when that thing might come in useful.......  Can't chuck stuff out when it might be 'just the thing'  
    My dear departed Dad's principle was:  "Keep a thing seven years and you'll find a use for it."  And he usually did.  Luckily our house had a very large cellar.  I have a garage and no car, so I can afford to do the same.  Yesterday I found a use for all the plastic trays without which you can't buy a paint roller.  When re-potting pot plants, you can empty the pot into a paint tray, tip it and tap it to shake all the compost into the well, and stand the pot on the flat bit while you re-fill it.
    Result @josusa47!  See, your Dad and my Dad knew a thing or two (actually come to think of it my Grandad as well) about recycling before it became 'the thing' or is it up-cycling now? What is that?

My Son in Law likes to work out and I am very happy because one brand of whey powder has tubs perfect for small amounts of sieved compost for the seeds and the other is a large plastic bottle I use for 'tea' . I remember post-war Britain where pretty much everything got re-used, are we going back to that do you think?
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,537
    I've just retired. I knew the world would come to an end when I did!
    I'm now in the process of weeding out my life's work. I'm allowing myself just one ring binder.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,576
    my Dad knew a thing or two (actually come to think of it my Grandad as well) about recycling before it became 'the thing' or is it up-cycling now? What is that?

It's using paint roller trays as potting benches having painted them duck-egg blue first.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
    Thank you @raisingirl it seems I just get a grip on the language and it moves!