Planting clematis roots

Hi
Ive got a clematis armadii which I need to plant out. I know that it likes roots in shade, leaves / flowers in sun and I have an area in mind. 
My question is whether it’s suitable to plant the roots underneath a black weed suppressant mat which has wood chippings on top...or would that have the opposite effect and warm up the roots??!
many thanks for any advice
Nic

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    If you put a barrier over the roots, it won't be able to send up any new shoots, and therefore you minimise the eventual growth of the plant.

There are a lot of myths surrounding clematis planting too. Plant it appropriately, keep it well watered until established, and use your mulch, or just a layer of compost, to preserve that moisture. It'll be fine if you do that, assuming you have the right climate and general conditions for it  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,369
    I suspect it might make perfect shelter for slugs and snails which love to munch on fresh new clematis shoots.   However, as armandii is evergreen maybe that's less of a problem..

Clematis mostly need a good rich soil full of nutrients and a good depth to send down their thick, fleshy roots and adequate water supplies so if you can supply good soil and water it in well and give it a drink in dry periods it will be happy without the membrane but won't get too hot if you want to use one..
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NicbuntingNicbunting Posts: 4
    Thanks. 
    The membrane is already on the ground where I’m thinking of planting, so I’ll prob pull it back to plant then cut that section out.

I also got a passionflower amethyst & thought it would look nice to plant together & have them running through each other but I’ve read that maybe this would be too aggressive for the clematis.
    Can you offer any advice / thoughts on this?? THanks!

also - should I have started another thread for a new question? (Am new to this) thanks 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,657
    Don't worry about new questions. Threads invariably move and meander and take on a life of their own. 
    I'd remove the membrane altogether and let soil borne critters like earthworms become your friends.
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,947
    @Nicbunting -it's always better to start a new thread if it's for a different plant, because if people know nothing about clematis, they won't look in, and they could be the ones that can help with the passion flower. Just call it something like 'Passion flower and clematis. A good idea?' That will get you the most appropriate help.   :)

I don't grow them here as the climate isn't suitable, but you do have to take care when planting climbers close together, as you need to be sure they can get the nourishment they both need :)

It's certainly worth cutting the membrane back a bit  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NicbuntingNicbunting Posts: 4
    Thank you for the advice!
    much appreciated.

Ill start a new thread mentioning both. X