Forum home Problem solving

Spindly seedlings

First time growing from seed indoors.  These are sunflower seedlings - is it normal for these to be so spindly and droopy? They have one pair of leaves so presume not ready for planting on just yet?

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    They are searching for light, do you have a brighter window? If not wait for a second proper leaf and then repot burying the stem up to the first leaves. Hope this helps. 😁
  • It’s a pretty bright window!  I’ll take your advice and repot burying the stems - thanks!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    You could make a reflector to go behind which will help to maximise light, like these:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Nick74Nick74 Posts: 44
    They are searching for light, do you have a brighter window? If not wait for a second proper leaf and then repot burying the stem up to the first leaves. Hope this helps. 😁
    Does burying the stems actually work? I always assumed it would cause the stems to rot, so end up planting very spindly plants! 
  • It is the root, not the stem, below the seed leaves, so these need to be buried when the seedlings are eventually repotted, but there is no rush.

Some seedlings naturally come a long way out of the soil, it does not mean that they are short of light. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    The trick is at that point to water from below so the compost is never wet @Nick74 I have done this with many different plants and most work, the only other option is to start again and I'm a bit of a miser to do that.😁
  • Thank you everyone, I will try what you suggest.  Fingers crossed!