Forum home Wildlife gardening

Can anyone identify this?

Hi there was wondering if anyone could tell me what this bee is or if it even is a bee, feasting on my peach tree, thanks 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,588
    edited March 2020
    some sort of Prunus. Or did you mean what sort of bee is it?
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,562
    Bee on a peach! @Hostafan1.   It's very handsome, whatever it is and so's the peach.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324
    edited March 2020
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 566
    I think it could actually be a fly, all be it mimicing a bee.  Possibly Ferdinandia cuprea, it doesn't seem to have a common name.
    East Anglia
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,422
    I expect @wild edges would know...   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,491
    Yes it's a hoverfly of some kind. There's a couple of hundred species to choose from and I can't tell enough from the photo sorry. These are pretty similar though.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • it is definitely a fly, because it has tiny antennae in the middle of the face, while bees and wasps have fairly long antennae on top of the head. Flies also only have one pair of wings.