Forum home Wildlife gardening

Caterpillars, where do they go?

CLBCLB Nottingham, East MidlandsPosts: 26
Hi everyone long time no see, I've been searching online and cant think of the right way to phrase this so I'm not finding the answers I'm looking for.

Basically, I Planted Nasturiums in a hanging basket last year and within a month it was covered by butterflies, eggs and lots of caterpillars, which is a good thing in my eyes! Within a few weeks all the leaves had been eaten (again fine with me!) But all of the caterpillars were gone, my question is, where do they all go? Was there some sort of Caterpillar eating pandemic and all the birds came to eat them? Or did they all crawl off somehwere to find more plants or turn into butterflies? 

If someone knows the answer then please let me know,because maybe there is a better place to plant nasturtiums to help the caterpillars live an easier and better life! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    All of the above  :)
    It's why insects lay lots of eggs. Not all will make it to moth/butterfly status

Frogs are the same - lots of spawn, lots of tads, some froglets - and not so many make it to full 'frog'.
    Spiders as well, although they obviously don't become frogs.... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579
    irds do eat them and many people use nasturtiums as sacrificial plants to attract butterflies and aphids away from their treasures.

Surviving caterpillars; once they've reached the right size and maturity, crawl off somewhere quiet and safe for their chrysalis phase before becoming butterflies.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • CLBCLB Nottingham, East MidlandsPosts: 26
    Thanks for the replies, I never even thought about it like that, lots of eggs, not so many survivors. Now it makes sense! We always have hundreds if not thousands (maybe not quite) of frogspawn and tadpoles each year but barely see any frogs, maybe the odd few during the year sunbathing in the pond. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    The froglets are so tiny, it's easy to miss them too. They're very vulnerable when they first start making their way into the big wide world, but it's worth keeping an eye out for them.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 21,461
    This is what happens when there's no predators 😱

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • CLBCLB Nottingham, East MidlandsPosts: 26
    Imagine waking up to their noise in the morning then heading outside to see all of them! I'm not sure if I'd like it or be slightly worried! Haha