Forum home Plants

please help me id this plant thank you

LizarghLizargh Posts: 20
I had this area cleared of brambles just before Christmas and this is now growing vigorously and abundantly. does anyone know what it is and if its invasive whats the best way to get rid of it, please 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Butterbur, Petasites, which makes the very apt anagram:  e, it's a pest.  Later on it will grow club-shaped  clusters of pink flowers.  I've never had it so I can't tell you how to get rid of it.  I'm sure someone else will know.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,149
    Very invasive and like damp areas so weed it out as deeply as you can using a good garden fork to lift it and then separate the roots and plants from the soil.   Let it all dry out thoroughly before putting it n a compost heap or in the green bin.

You'll need to improve the drainage of the soil to help slow its return or else plant other stuff that likes damp soils and keep a beady eye out for new bits of petasite and remove them before they take over.

Have a read of this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=987 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • andynuttandynutt Posts: 2
    Morning all - I wonder if someone could identify this tree/shrub for me, please? Picture taken today - thanks!
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,149
    Hi @andynutt.  Welcome.

It's usually best to start your own thread for a plant identification in case posters don't revisit a thread once the identification of the first is clear.

However, I can use the @ feature to invite some of our best plant spotters to look for you - @nutcutlet, @Silver surfer and @Borderline.   Apologies to all other keen plant spotters but these 3 are usually first off the block with rapid answers.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • micearguersmicearguers Posts: 614
    I'm going to have a wild stab ... Berberis julianae?
  • andynuttandynutt Posts: 2
    Obelixx said:
    Hi @andynutt.  Welcome.

It's usually best to start your own thread for a plant identification in case posters don't revisit a thread once the identification of the first is clear.

However, I can use the @ feature to invite some of our best plant spotters to look for you - @nutcutlet, @Silver surfer and @Borderline.   Apologies to all other keen plant spotters but these 3 are usually first off the block with rapid answers.
    Many thanks for your help - sorry about that, I'll remember to do that next time!
    And thanks to micearguers for that response - following your lead, I've done a bit of searching and I think it might perhaps be Berberis darwinii - thanks again!
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,452
    edited March 2020
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .