Forum home Wildlife gardening

Trees or shrubs

Can you suggest a small tree  or large shrub I can buy in memory of a friend. I’d like it to be wildlife friendly and to have spring and summer interest. Thank you

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,001
    Hello , welcome to the forum :)
    That's a lovely idea and personally l'd suggest Amelanchier lamarkii. Some info here.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/26602/Amelanchier-lamarckii/Details
  • I’ll have a look at that. Thank you so much for the prompt reply. 
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,001
    No problem  :)
  • I love buddleja for a shrub otherwise known as a butterfly bush as they are a magnet for butterfly’s in the summer.
    Alternatively Crab Apple trees have beautiful blooms in spring which develop into mini Apple in summer that would attract birds. 
  • Another great idea. Thanks again. I’ve a lot to think about! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Hi @Pmdorrell
    A very nice idea as a memorial. I love Amelanchier too, and it's very straightforward, but it's helpful to have some info about where and how you intend to keep your chosen shrub/tree. 
    Are you planting in a pot, in the ground? In your own garden? What are your climate, conditions and soil like? What time do you have to care for it?
    These are all important factors  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• You’re quite right -a few more details. It will be planted in a bed which is sunny most of the day. It is semi sheltered. The top soil is rich and friable but dig down a couple of feet and it’s clay. That’s about as much information as I can give I think. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Shetland? Cornwall?  Points in between?  Huge range of weather in between which affects how plants grow.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    edited March 2020
    The Amelanchier would probably be ideal. 
    Location would be useful, as @Obelixx says. My conditions would be very different form someone in the south of England for instance.  :)

If the soil isn't alkaline, Pieris would also do well. They can cope with sun as long as they don't dry out too much. Most Weigelas would also do well. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ah! South Wales -wet and sometimes windy, usually westerly. We’re on the coast though not directly on the sea.