Forum home Fruit & veg

Growing in alkaline soil

As someone who's gardened seriously for almost a decade, I've never tested my soil. I know, shocking. But this year I decided to, and found my soil is alkaline. I have ordered a more detailed test to get a more accurate reading. The question is, should I leave it as it is? Or add some sequested iron liquid? I realise brassicas love alkaline soil, but I'm also growing tomatos, squash, peppers, and chillis.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,630
    If it's good soil and fertile, leave it alone except for your usual crop rotation and mulching systems.

I had deep, fertile, alkaline loam over a clay sub soil in my last garden and we grew great fruit and veggies and lavender and clematis loved it.  Couldn't grow azaleas, rhodos, camellias but that was fine as plenty of other plants thrived.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 244
    Obelixx said:
    If it's good soil and fertile, leave it alone except for your usual crop rotation and mulching systems.

I had deep, fertile, alkaline loam over a clay sub soil in my last garden and we grew great fruit and veggies and lavender and clematis loved it.  Couldn't grow azaleas, rhodos, camellias but that was fine as plenty of other plants thrived.
    Thank you so much!