Forum home Problem solving

Asbestos??? Need some advice

Hi we moved into a house three years ago and I started to sort out the top of the garden to make a veg plot , it turned out that under all the brambles there was an amount of concrete asbestos corrugated roofing , mostly broken bits on top of the earth and some buried in the earth , I got it all removed , and last year planted some veg , it grew well and we had sweet corn strawberries and onions cucumbers  , but I was very worried about them being contaminated so we didn’t in the end eat any of our produce :-( can any body tell me if it would be safe to grow and eat produce ? As I really want to plant up again this year and my two boys were gutted that they couldn’t eat the things they had grown . Although all the asbestos sheets have gone I am worried about the dust that must have been in the soil for all the years before I cleared it.
any help would be fantastic 
cheers
Alan

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,173
    I think that so long as you are eating fruits or shoots you will be OK. Roots, covered with soil, should be fine once washed well.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,448
    Hello Alan and welcome to the forum. Plants do not absorb asbestos so your plants would be safe to eat. If the asbestos was removed by a reputable company then there should be little for you to worry about. If you wanted to be sure you could always seek the advice of the local Council's Environmental Health Office.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thank you so much for your fast responses, really put my mind at rest , time to get ready for planting :-) 
    cheers
    alan
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,448
    Enjoy the fruits of your labours this year Alan.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,983
    And to add some more reassurance. Our last garden was riddled with bits of the flat sheets which they use to use for garages etc. That garden kept us fed for 25 years and we are still here. Had a chest X ray a few weeks back, nothing wrong with my chest or lungs either.