Forum home Problem solving

Using a Vitopod Thermostat Heater

Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
I am just beginning to use my new Vitopod Double Thermostat Heater, just using one level.
It is in my Unheated but Frost Free Greenhouse, which does get shade.
I have set it at 18degrees but it consistently goes up to 24degrees and this morning at 10am was at 31degrees. I have been checking it several times a day but when the seeds have just germinated they then wilt in the heat.  At this rate I shall have to spend all day in the greenhouse taking the lids on and off.  There are vents open all the time.  Any ideas anyone? Currently it seems more trouble than its worth! Pta55

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    I also have a a Vitopod propagator.
    The thermostat can only switch heat on and off and when the temp reaches the level you've set it switches off.
    But it's a very sunny day and the heat soon builds up in a greenhouse - it's also 31c in mine atm. When the sun goes in the temp drops quickly too as there's a cold easterly wind today.
    On such days I take the lids off the propagator and leave the door ajar.
    The windows open and close automatically.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
    Thanks Pete, so I assume therefore that I should just take the lids off as early as I can and leave them off all day and put them back at night. They will just heat from the bottom if it gets colder during the day. As long as I know what to do that will be fine.  
    Thank you. PtaS1955
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    Yes that's what I do on a sunny day, and if it gets a bit chilly the heat will switch on and keep the plants happy.
    I put about a layer of about 1" sand in the base of my Vitopod.
    This acts as a radiator and holds the heat and keeps big temperature swings to a minimum.
    Good luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pta55Pta55 Oxfordshire Posts: 28
    Hi Pete, ok thanks for that. Will try that. Pta55