Forum home Problem solving

What’s wrong with my Tree

CnetzCnetz Adelaide, South Australia Posts: 1
I have a beautiful Robinia Pseudoacacia “Frisia” in my yard. It’s been stunning every year except this one. The branches up high appear not to have produced its lush canopy. This is now happening down lower almost as if something is eating them only I can’t see anything. Can anyone suggest what the problem is? And if I can do anything to rectify it. We are heading into Autumn here now so it will soon start to shed the few leaves it has. But would love to have it back to its beautiful glory in Spring/Summer. TIA

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    @Pat E , are you able to help at all, being "down under" ?
    Hope all is well with you there.
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 11,602
    I’ve got a strong suspicion that the drought has affected it. Our trees look terrible as well, but they perked up a bit when we got a little rain last month. They are struggling again now. We’ve got our fingers crossed for another period of rain as the season moves on. If you can spare some extra water, I’d try giving it a drink every day and see how it goes. It might come good. 

Otherwise, I’d suggest taking a small sample to your local garden centre. I can’t see any disease or insect problems from your photos. 

😃
    S. E. NSW
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    There is a disease spreading thru this species which is slowly weakening and killing them off.  The extreme drought this year won't have helped.  I know of several, including my own in my previous garden which have had to be cut down.

All you can do is hope that it is just the drought.  If it doesn't come back looking bonny next year think about getting it removed and then, if you can, replace it with something like a gleditsia which has similar golden foliage and no disease - so far.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    I wonder if it might be a grafted specimen and you've only got sucker from the rootstock? 
    I had one in a previous garden which suddenly just died, for no reason I was ever able to establish
    Devon.