Forum home Wildlife gardening

I am an Eejit - frog advice please

I came across a frog in the garden, instantly panicked that the dogs would kill it so took it to the local canal ...then found a bigger one next day  and felt dreadful that I’d ‘split them up!’ And put it bedside the canal where I’d just put his buddy... well... 3 days later I came across a smaller one .. omg I’d made it an orphan!!! So I left it and made a wee pond for it. Obviously they were happy where they were and I shouldn’t have interfered and now realise that.  
Will other frogs find their way to my garden .. I've never had so few slugs now I think of it... and organic gardening was my aim in my new build house 🙄

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,320
    how far away is the canal? Frogs tend to find their way back to the "pond" from which they emerged. 
    Don't beat yourself up about it. We've all made mistakes , doing what we thought right. 
    Devon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,088
    Welcome to the forum. It's a wise man who knows he's an eejit😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • You can tell I feel rubbish about it..thank you for your kind comment.  The canal is only a couple of minutes walk away, but before I knew they were there, the half barrel ‘pond’ I had was changed to a water feature with a pump, (because it was just stagnant water) Ive since made a bit they could get in and out of under the mesh but don’t know if it’s any use especially with the pump. I buried a plastic storage box under the shrub where I found the frogs and made a wee pond there. 
    Freddo is probably about half way back as we speak. 
    Devon.
  • B3 said:
    Welcome to the forum. It's a wise man who knows he's an eejit😉
    Oh I am very wise then 😂😂😂I’ll not mention getting rid of the rat tailed maggots in the pond either thinking they were a pest... again, the dogs liked a wee drink from that wee pond... OR my tomatoes that wouldn’t stay upright (and actually produce fruit!) despite all my attempts at securing and nurturing them...until my friend found a pea pod on one....... 🤡
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Sounds like you’ve found the right place to visit ... it’ll help us feel better about ourselves 🤪😝🙃
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Always glad to help 🤪😂 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,183
    Sure and it's fine to be an eejit. At least you're an eejit who cares ;)
    Most of us have been there..
    ..and often still are   :D

As @Hostafan1 says, froggy is probably heading back to his wee 'pal'. If you've made a place for them in the garden, I'm sure they'll forgive you.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Forgiveness is a wonderful thing indeed.... thank you all, i hope to be less of an eejit in future 😂 
    Forgiveness is a wonderful thing indeed.... thank you all, i hope to be less of an eejit in future 😂 
    oh please don't be. Us fellow eejits need to stick together. 
    Devon.