Forum home Problem solving

Beech hedge question

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
Hello
We have a bit of a non-hedge which needs sorting out so that it looks like something other than a few straggly beech and roses stood next to each other. Realistically there aren't enough plants to properly call it a hedge, but it's what we've got so we need to go with it.

OH thinks the taller plants are too tall so wants to cut them down to the same height as the shortest beech. I think we took the leading shoot off too soon on the shorter one. I'm not sure what will happen if we cut the taller ones down, or indeed the best way and time to do it. And if we just keep the taller ones as they are, will the rest now ever catch up? The barest beech in the middle does have buds on it, and I think the thin couple near the right end are hornbeam.
All thoughts welcome as ever
Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    When you plant a new hedge like this it' soften advised to cut the whips short as this helps it to branch from the start when growth begins and makes for a thicker hedge.

Go with OH's instinct and cut it all down to one level, a bit lower than the shortest beech plant then clear any weeds form the base and give it a good mulch of well-rotted organic matter such as garden compost or manure.   You could also scatter on some slow release fertiliser such as blood, fish and bone or pelleted chicken manure.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,254
    I agree with @Obelixx ... I would also shorten some of those long sideshoots to help it thicken up.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453
    Thanks for the tips. Does it make a difference that the hedge has been in for about 4 or 5 years?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    No.  It should respond to pruning and feeding.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw