Forum home Problem solving

Old Greenhouse

Is this old green house worth trying to sale (I have most of the glass) or is it just scrap?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    I'd think despite it being a splendid thing, that dismantling it would be a nightmare
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,872
    I'm not sure it even qualifies as scrap - sorry..
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,078
    You could use it as a pergola and grow things up it. Clematis, roses, grape vine maybe. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,880
    How sturdy is the frame? I can see a few possible ways to reuse it but it looks like it needs so much work that you'd probably get very little money for it. Replacing curved glass panels can't be cheap either and I think that puts people off with this type of frame. It would make a great framework for a mancave type shed project though.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    I'd think lots of the fixings will be rusted into place. and the whole thing really needs sandblasting to get rid of rust. 
    You could offer it free to someone who wants it, but I think that's a slim hope too.
    I'd re task it as others have suggested. Cover it in wisteria and have a dining area underneath.
    Devon.
  • m-sealeym-sealey Posts: 2
    The frame is cast iron with a wood centre beam and the glass in not curved even on the round edge.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,012
    I was strongly reminded of the Lost Gardens of Heligan when l saw your photos. 
    I suppose it depends on just how keen you are to restore it, it would certainly entail a great deal of work.
    I have done a bit of Googling and there are various articles about restoring metal framed greenhouses. There is advice out there, but in the end the decision is yours. Spend time and money restoring it to its former glory,  or demolish it and start again.
    I'd be interested to know what you decide to do :) 
  • Convert it into a poly tunnel? I would love to have it in my garden but I already have the metal framework of a poly tunnel waiting to be put up