Forum home Plants

Id of these plants. Thank you

ba2020ba2020 Posts: 10

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 3,860
    It would have helped us help you if only you had numbered your pics. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,448
    edited March 2020
    Without numbers this is hard going back and for counting.

It is so much easier if you just post 3-4 plants at a time.
    If there are problems /discussion with others over an id, long list of pics can get extremely messy /confusing as to which pic is being discussed.

Last Pittosporum
    Next up Chionodox
    Next..a fern.
    Up...Ligularia
    up... Mahonia.
    up...Cotoneaster.
    up...need clearer pic..Exochorda maybe.
    up.... Cardamine.
    up...Skimmia.
    up...not clear.
    up..not clear.
    up...Clematis.
    up Jasminum.
    up...not clear.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • It's bad form @ba2020 to post two posts with so many IDs,p on here are nice to offer help but this is ridiculous. I'd say use Google lens about 80% of them would have been identified and then just post any that didn't work out. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    On another forum I asked that posts be restricted to 3/4 at a time and was met with lots of folk who disagreed!?

One time a thread similar to this went on for page, after page, after page, with everyone having a say.
    Then people would disagree .
    Then which image everyone was talking about got confused and it ended up a complete mess.
    I propose that there is something added at the top by the Moderators to suggest  id's are limited to 3/4 per thread.

I also tend to have the attitude if the poster cannot be bothered to take clear images then why should I bother to try and help.

I also really like an appreciative  thank you after spending time to help.
    I am not a robot.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,145
    Agree completely @Silver surfer.  
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ba2020ba2020 Posts: 10
    I take all your points. But, I'm new to this forum & clearly was trying to learn about plants more as an enthusiast. In response to my last post, I did acknowledge Silver surfer's feedback. As regards to thanking, I am not checking replies every minute, and when I'm noting the names properly, like now... I'm acknowledging every one's effort and reply.
    Thanks everyone for all your help in identifying these plants.
    edited March 2020

ba2020 
    OK.....had my grumble.
    I really hate masses of id's in one thread.
    Normally ignore them, but yesterday I was bored so had a go!

Sorry..forgot to say..welcome to the forums!

Everyone here want to help and have a lot of knowledge.
    To learn about plants takes time.. you will find it easier IF you take it gently and learn a few each day.
    It usually helps to take at least 3 pics of each plant...
    A general to show the whole plant
    One to show the leaves clearly...especially to show whether opposite or alternate.
    Another to show detail such as flowers, berries, seed pods.

By the way......Last pic.....The Pittosporum looks like..Pittosporum tenuifolium Irene Patterson.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pittosporum+tenuifolium+irene+patterson&FORM=HDRSC2

Ligularia looks like Ligularia Britt Marie Crawford.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ligularia+britt-marie+crawford&FORM=HDRSC2
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Makes sense. Thank you.
    Looks like this is not a forum for novice people like me. Any suggestions for a good android app that helps to recognise common garden plants? Not big fan of google apps though...
    ba2020 said:
    Makes sense. Thank you.
    Looks like this is not a forum for novice people like me. Any suggestions for a good android app that helps to recognise common garden plants? Not big fan of google apps though...
    No you are wrong.
    This is the perfect forum to start.
    Gardening apps are not all they are cracked up to be.
    Stick with it..but slowly/gently.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .