Forum home Wildlife gardening

Long grass in pond

We have 3 year old pond but grass has grown in it. Does anyone have any advice how to get rid of the grass?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518
    Hello philandjo.baker and welcome to the forum. Is the pond a pre formed pond or is it rubber/butyl lined? How large is it? If its fairly small then the easiest control is just to hand pull the grass out.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Is it 'just grass' @philandjo.baker,   or could it be something else?
    In warmer areas, algae will be appearing which often looks grassy. 
    If it just grass, then doing as @Ladybird4 says is the solution.

Have you got a pic? The little icon that looks like a mountain is the one to click on  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks. Butyl lined. Not algae though have had that as well. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    Is it lawn grass that’s spreading in from the banks or is it a planted marginal plant that’s getting a bit rampant. 
    A photo or two would help 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518
    I think the pulling out by hand route is the way to go. Trace the roots back to their base of origin and see if you can remove the grass plants causing the problem and keep an eye on things through the season to prevent it happening again.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Yes - if it's just grass, you can just pull it out.
    If you have grass right up to the pond edges, it's not unusual for it to spill over and get into the water, but it's not a problem unless there's been chemicals - ie weedkillers/lawn weed and feed etc - on it. 
    It can actually be helpful for creatures needing to access the water too, and many people actively encourage it, but if it's becoming a nuisance, following @Ladybird4's method is the way to go.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I agree a photo would help. We had couch grass sneaking in from our (unintentional)
    wild area. Pulling out by hand gets a lot.
    Southampton