Forum home Problem solving

Weed or part of the plant?

aoutredaoutred Posts: 8
edited March 2020 in Problem solving
Hello, I got this thyme plant for 3p in Tesco hoping to save it but I see a few leaves that are very different to the others. It does have a fragrant smell to the leaf but I can’t tell if it is from being around the thyme or because it’s part of the thyme. Any ideas of what it is?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    HI, and welcome to the forum. 
    To add a photo,click on the icon which looks like a postcard with a mountain.
    Devon.
  • aoutredaoutred Posts: 8
    Apologies, I clicked upload hotness it must have not fully uploaded

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    The large leaves are not part of the thyme plant ... they're a weed (working on the premise that a weed is any plant in the wrong please  ;))

Tease it out gently, removing as much root as possible.  

Otherwise that thyme looks nice and healthy ... I'd harden it off and then plant it outside in a herb bed or larger container in a sunnyish spot asap.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,658
    The one with larger, lighter green hairy leaves is an interloper - the rest is the thyme. If you gently remove the pot you might be able to get the weed out.
    Brilliant thank you so much for for your help :) ye I use the term as a plant that says not meant to be the wren :)