Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bee Conservation Home - Feedback & Opinions, please? GCSE Student

For my DT GCSE, I have created a bee conservation to house Solitary Bees, which are a species that do not produce honey, however they are major pollinators, being 3x more effective as normal pollinators, providing more, flourishing flowers. This conservation home it to provide bees a shelter while they kindly aid our flowers to prosper. 

Their is a terrarium element, to attract solitary bees, all of the prototype is varnished, providing a waterproof element, and the "bee sting" is to be used to store sticks, and leaves, as well as any other materials Bees wish to use during their habitation. This product is intended to be used in the countryside. 

Please could you offer any feedback, such as likes, strengths, weaknesses etc. for my prototype. Any feedback and opinions would be very much appreciated, and would be great for my GCSE DT Portfolio. 

Thank you for your time, 

Bliss x 

• Well done Bliss.  I don't have any expertise in this other than planting  loads of bee friendly plants in my patch.  What I can say is, being based in a 1,000 pupil high school and interacting with the students, you have expressed yourself most eloquently. A refreshing change from what I 'm used to hearing, good luck with an A* in English!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,009
    You have created a very strong design there Bliss, and clearly well  thought out. At first glance l can't think of anything to add.  Maybe @Dovefromabove could help  :)
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,576
    The only things I would be concerned about are the wings, and the top. do the wings move in the wind? Have you considered that they may frighten off insects? That could be a good thing to write about whether you decide they do or they don't. And the top, is that glass/plastic panels around the top part, it's hard to tell from the pictures. consider how hot that may get inside when the summer sun hits it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    I like the 'traditional craft' element of the design ... I can't zoom in on the pictures ... is the bee design on top 'poker work' or is it painted?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• @Dovefromabove thank you for replying. The bee design is actually an engraving of a bee that was done with the 2D Design Application, then engraved on a Thunder Laser  
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
    It looks like it might allow water to drip through the rope handles and into the chamber below which might suit woodlice but not bees so much. You'll find that female bees prefer to guard the tubes while resting but the refuge area might get used by males waiting to mate with the females. Design wise it looks more suited to urban areas than countryside, although I'm not sure what 'intended to be used in the countryside' really means? I don't mean that as a negative it's just that it's a design that's meant to be seen and appreciated rather than a utilitarian design aimed more at the welfare of pollinators. I guess the tubes themselves are replaceable which is a good idea as providing a variety of hole size maximises the use by pollinators. Bees aren't the bee all and end all of pollinators in the garden and you may be facinated by the other creatures that also love to use these boxes. Have a quick look at this thread.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • I absolutely love the unique shape and the clear acrylic wings are a brilliant add on, in my opinion. However, the overall exterior looks a little bland in terms of colour maybe some extra colour could have been added. Or was this intentional to look 'natural' themed? Additionally, the hanging element is very fun and allows the product to be placed almost anywhere. The use of bamboo as a filling is also very fun and creative!