Forum home The potting shed

Dogs and Covid-19

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,559
I have a very friendly dog and inevitably when I take her out people make a fuss of her, pat her and stroke her, she has many fans. That's all lovely until recently.
I am now asking people not to, but their response is that dogs cannot pass on the virus and often they carry on fussing her.
It maybe true that dogs cannot catch the virus, but if someone has the virus on their hands and strokes my dog then I stroke my dog and touch one of my orifices, then surely the virus will have been passed to me or the next person that strokes her?
I've searched the web but can find no answer.

Anyone know?
Thanks

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    Tell them not to be so bl**dy rude, if you've asked them not to touch her.

Whether or not it can be passed on [and I'm sure that's a debatable point ] you've asked them not to, so that's that. WTF is wrong with people?  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,672
    How long have you got @Fairygirl
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,559
    I get your point Fg but these are fellow dog walkers and more often than not little old ladies who like to make a fuss of her and that I've known for years.
    At the other end of the spectrum there are the schoolkids who run up to her and cuddle her- they know her name, but I often have no idea who they are.
    She seems to have many more friends that I do!

I've read plenty about dogs not being able to catch and pass-on the virus, but I'd be very interested to know how long it remains viable on a dog's coat as I suspect that there will be a period of time during which the virus could be transferred from a dog's coat to a human potentially causing an infection.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,174
    Maybe put a little coat on her and with signs to not touch - so you don't have to keep saying it or offending people
    AnniD said:
    How long have you got @Fairygirl
     :D 

I get that @Pete.8, but it doesn't detract from the fact that you've asked them not to touch her 'just in case'.
    You'd think the little old ladies would have more sense, considering the risk to them  ;)

Maybe you could fashion the dug a 'head to toe' hazmat suit ....  :D

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,672
    edited March 2020
    I don't know if this of any use @Pete.8
    https://www.wormsandgermsblog.com/
    bearing in mind l found it on the internet ! 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,561

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    white and black helmet on black surface

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,559
    It's great that so many people make a fuss of my dog and she certainly enjoys it.
    I'll have to tell people that someone with a bad dry cough and dripping with sweat has just been stroking her and see if that does the trick :)

It maybe that the oils on dog fur destroy the virus on contact in which case I needn't worry, or maybe it can last 3 days, in which case I should...
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,561

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.