Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse on sloping setts

Hello, I’m looking at installing a greenhouse but not sure what to do with the footings. However our case is a bit unusual as our garden used to be a cobbled Road. The setts are v deep so I’d prefer not to remove them but is there a way of laying a level foundation over the existing setts? I was thinking of either a pad foundation or strip foundation but this wouldn’t have any side support. 
Thanks 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Easier to see the right way up.

It would also help if you showed us the area completely cleared and told us how big is the greenhouse and whether it's wood or aluminium framed as that will make a difference too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Sorry, stupid iPhone didn’t upload properly. The greenhouse we are looking at is 4x6. I’ll try get out and clear the decks and post another pic. 
  • I’ve cleared the area. Below the bricks is sandy rocky soil but it’s the slope left to right and the setts I’m worried about. I don’t want to lift the sets... but equally I don’t really want to lose them either... any help appreciated. 
    That is such a small area I don't understand why you don't just gird your loins and remove the bricks and those few setts and stack them in a corner for use elsewhere.  Then you can pour on and level a couple of bags of quick dry cement and have a sound, even base for your greenhouse.  It will be much easier and better in the long run than faffing around doing a bodge.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    I'm inclined to agree with @Obelixx. It's only a tiny strip of setts too. 
    The alternatives would be to pave over them, or remove and pave.
    You could even construct a base from timber joists, as you would for a deck or similar. That would need a bit of concreting in at corners.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes its only a 4x6 footprint.  The setts go down about a foot and the kerb stones probably more, so i wouldn't relish taking them out...but will consider this. My latest plan was for a strip foundation, over the setts and bricks for all sides and ensure it is levelled on top. Got to do some projects whilst in isolation eh!  he he
    I've never met a sett one foot deep so do you mean you have them in layers?  I don't think burying them under some loose gravel or set concrete would be a sin given you have all those others.   Up to you to decide how much work you want to put in and how good you want to look when done as well as how effective it will be as a base.

@Fairygril's suggestion of a base frame made form roofing joists is good too and would contain gravel or concrete for you.

Do you know how beautiful setts can be when cleaned with a pressure washer?  It'll be messy - been there, done that - but they'll come up lovely and set off everything else very nicely.
  • Well the setts are pretty deep. Can see one of them on the right side of the picture. Really deep set at least 8 inches each one. I will be tidying up around but this is the first job since winter. 
    Just get on with it.  8" is not unusual for a granite sett.  Use a crow bar to prise them out.  Good exercise!
  • Haha I know I had to dig them all out for the wall. It was okay till I got to the tar set ones... lots of suction!! Hehe