Forum home Problem solving

grazers spray- slugs

I started using it last year, and although I can't say a lot about its efficacy as I mostly grow non -slug- interest plants I used it on delphiniums and helianthus and had no damage. It is fine on vegetables. I imagine it is like a garlic spray but ready made. It makes the plants taste bitter and certainly tastes very bitter. could be an organic addition to the armoury?

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I have never heard of this. What is its full name, where can you buy it and what are the implications for wildlife, please?
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    I tried the pigeons and rabbits Grazers spray a couple of years back and I think it did help a bit but I still got damage. I haven't tried the slug one but might do this year. Their products are meant to be safe for wildlife and to spray on edibles, I believe. (Google "grazers spray" if you want to find sellers).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    I'd guess it's largely garlic based. The problem with these sprays is that you need to keep applying them if you live in a wet area, as they just get washed off.
    It's the same with the conventional, home made solution  :)

I can't stand the smell of garlic, so it's no use for me!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    I have tried many remedies and still feel that picking them off is the most effective. I'm not recommending it as FUN, or aesthetically pleasing, but it really does work.