Forum home Tools and techniques

What's this for?

I've  just used it to turn over the soil in containers looking for VW grubs. But what's  it really  for?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,579
    Favourite weapon of a gardening friend in Belgium.  Used for hoiking out weeds in lawns like dandelions which have a deep tap root.  Leave a bit behind and you just get a new dandelion.   Doesn't leave a great hole in your lawn like you'd get with a garden fork or even a normal trowel.

Also useful for weeding between treasures in your borders and making the right width of hole down which to slip a crocus or other small bulb and for messing in pots where space is limited.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,623
    Favourite of mine too, for getting bindweed roots out. No idea what it is called, though.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    Nollie said:
    Favourite of mine too, for getting bindweed roots out. No idea what it is called, though.
    A hoikerouter...

Lovely looking tool though. Ideal for those small bulbs @Obelixx - especially when you want to shoehorn them into tiny little gaps between other treasured plants.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 21,462
    I'm surprised about that as it hasn't got a pointy end. 
    I've plenty of weeds to try it out on😉,
    Thanks for replies.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,502
    They're often known as dandelion trowels but they're great for using in plug trays and for planting seedlings with long tap roots. The rounded end is so you don't sever the weed roots I think.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    edited March 2020
    It's a shoehorn for people with very narrow feet.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    josusa47 said:
    It's a shoehorn for people with very narrow feet.
      Clowns maybe...:D 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,117
    It looks like a cheese trier.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,356
    Wouldn’t a cheese trier have a cross-ways handle so that you can twist it into the cheese?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 21,462
    Tried it out today. It works pretty well even on the pink geranium thug with the deep roots😠