peat free compost

So over the last couple of weeks I've been sowing my seeds in peat free compost and the germination rates are looking good, helped no doubt by a recent propagator purchase. So I put a video up about here on youtube here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jOnLsPbECc&t=1s 
If you're still to sow your seeds then please try using a peat free compost this year. It's much better for the environment and I talk about this a little at the end of the video.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,945
    Sorry - but I won't be using it. It's fine as a mulch, but too clumpy and solid for seeds in my experience.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    Sorry - but I won't be using it. It's fine as a mulch, but too clumpy and solid for seeds in my experience.
    I agree it could be finer but I cannot fault the germination rate. There’s a peat free compost called ‘bathgate champions blend’ which is really fine - worth a try perhaps ? 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,945
    I found the germination rate useless.
    I don't sow many seeds anyway, so I'll stick with multipurpose.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fair comment.
  • CheyngelCheyngel Buxton! Derbyshire, not Norfolk.Posts: 4,092
    I don't think I've ever actually used compost with peat in it. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,657
    Cheyngel said:
    I don't think I've ever actually used compost with peat in it. 
    you don't know what you've been missing
    Devon.
  • CheyngelCheyngel Buxton! Derbyshire, not Norfolk.Posts: 4,092
    Hostafan1 said:
    you don't know what you've been missing
    How so?
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,657
    Bracing myself for the tirade of abuse, but IMHO , they're crap.
    I buy from a nursery which proudly claims, " totally peat free" and everything I buy from them needs to be checked constantly as they dry out as soon as you turn your back on them. 
    Devon.
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 293
    Lidls own. Dirt cheap and to be honest I think its quite good.
    I might mix in a bit of vermiculite and/ or leaf mould /garden compost or maybe a bit of topsoil & grit according to what the end use is.
    If my life depended on results I may think different - but they don't, so not buying peat isn't a big issue for me.

Hey ho.. ya pays ya money..

GrandiolR Coconut Potting Compost
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,613
    I would love to stop using peat, but as others have said, when I tried, the results were not good.
    As gardening may soon be my only available pleasure, I shall continue as I am.
    Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth