Forum home Problem solving

Seeding lawn, digging flowerbeds

We have a large area of old garden to renovate. The builders have spread topsoil over the old lawn they made a mess of. We are going to seed that soon. My partner thinks we should also grass seed the area we are going to have as a large flowerbed, next to the lawn. I think this is not sensible and we should just dig the flowerbed at the same time. Advice/arbitration please!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    No point sowing seed before April assuming temperatures and moisture levels are right.  That gives you time to mark out your new flower beds, clear them of all weeds, especially the deep rooted ones, and get some well-rotted garden compost and/or manure spread over the soil.   

You can then start planting it up with any shrubs and perennials.   Once that's done, you can rake and prepare the soil for the grass seed sowing because you won't be able to walk on it for a few weeks afterwards.   No point sowing grass all over a new ornamental bed as it will be a waste of money/seed and be a pain to clear for ornamentals.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992
    I agree  :)
    I would mark out the area for flower beds, and view them from all angles including the upstairs windows (assuming you're not living in a bungalow !) . Keep tweaking it until you're happy.
    Spending money on grass seed just to dig it all up seems a bit daft to me  :)
    Preparation is the key.

Enjoy your new garden !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,940
    I'd agree with the others @Anna MK. 
    In addition - you said the builders put down topsoil. If you've had builders trampling around, the chances are that the ground is very compacted, so I'd be wary of sowing any seed until you take a look at the condition of the ground. It'll probably need some serious attention and renovation in the way of aerating/spiking, or more.

I'm in the process of doing that, as I had builders here the year after I made a new lawn, and it's never been great since.
    Coupled with some more blokes  doing roughcasting a year ago, the prolonged dry spell last summer, followed by even more rain than normal, and the ground really isn't in good shape! 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Anna MKAnna MK Posts: 10
    edited April 2020
    Thanks all. In the end we spent a LONG time digging and raking over both the lawn area and the beds, in the right order in my opinion - and yours! The topsoil wasn't really all topsoil: it had some subsoil and builders' rubble mixed in. Quite hard work all told. But the beds are ready to go now the lawn is seeded and we can access them from the side